Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Coming to peace with worry.

I admit it, I am a worrier by nature. I have been this way ever since I can remember. When I was a kid it was about things that seemed so big to me, that I realize now weren't really that big of issues. Today I worry about my husband, my kids, a sick friend, you name it. Usually during the day when I am busy I can push the problems/issues I worry about to the back of my head, but they usually hit me right around the time my head hits the pillow at night and the house is quiet. Who doesn't worry?

I know that when problems arise my immediate response needs to be prayer over worry. Prayer is a very powerful resource. Right now my husband is in a very difficult situation with his career, and I keep praying for an answer. I pray as much as I can about it, and then I ask "God are you hearing me ?" . It's like I expect an immediate result. I know that this is where faith comes in. It can be so difficult to wait.

Sometimes God's answers are not the answers we want or are not as quickly as we expect. I do know that He works everything together for good, even though we may never see the bigger picture. (Romans 8:28)  When my husband first graduated from college he started interviewing in New York City. He had interviewed for several jobs including one he really wanted. He didn't hear back from the one he wanted until he had started another position. He was very disappointed. A few months later 911 happened, and 658 employees from that company (Cantor Fitzgerald) perished in the World Trade Center attacks. This is where my husband would have been on that day, and life as I know it would be completely different. God had a plan. We didn't see it until then. No matter how many years pass, my heart still aches for all the families in our area/and across the country whose lives were forever changed that day.

Where you are today is exactly where you are supposed to be. Everything happens for a reason. Not getting a job, being late for an appointment....it is all part of a better plan. There is great peace in this, and knowing this I helps me with my daily worry and with my faith.

How do you come to peace with the things you worry about?

3 comments:

  1. I agree everything happens for a reason, but I do question why? As hard as it is time does heal us although we never forget. My girlfriends husband was 1 of the great Americans lost on 911, he worked at Cantor Fitzgerald & left behind his amazing wife & 4 beautiful daughters. I worry all the time, I do find the power of prayer very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EJ, I am so sorry for your friend's incredible loss. I cannot imagine the pain. I don't understand why bad things happen to good people or why bad people seem to just sail through life. I wish I had those answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've struggled with where I am right now. I honestly wish God would speak to me THIS time with a loud voice. I know that most often it's with a still small voice, through His Word, confirmation through others, but I feel like right now I'm in a holding pattern. i've been in it for quite some time and I'm just ready for a straight forward answer! As for your husband's experience, my grandma was there the day before having lunch with her cousin! So unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete