Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Time Well Spent

When I say I am going to do something, I try my best to always follow through. This is something that my parents have ingrained into me from the beginning, and I am thankful for that. You see words without actions are meaningless, and it's impossible to be credible without backing up what we say. This is why it's been so hard for me to admit that I don't seem to be doing too well with keeping up with my blog.

A few months ago I was determined to use my free time to write, something I really enjoy doing. More than anything though it is a great outlet for me. These past months have not gone as planned, but then I realize life seldom does, and sometimes the best things are the ones that were not in our "original plan".

March was a difficult month, but one that brought about positive change. In a previous post I had mentioned about some things going on with my husband's job that were causing us to question some things. I am pleased to say that this is no longer the situation. My husband was able to return to a prior position with a much better work/life balance. The sacrifice of course is less pay. We trust that this was the right decision for our family, and my faith allows me to believe that God will always take care of us.

Also last month an opportunity presented itself  for me to return to my field on a part time basis. I have to be honest and say that this is something that I really struggled with because as much as I miss the professional world, the issue for me has always been the childcare situation. The cost of part time childcare in this area would pretty much wipe out my part time paycheck, and I am not sure that we would come out ahead in the end. I love being home with my son, and being able to take my girls too and from school, and be involved in their schools. I am so grateful for the time I have with my kids as I know it is limited. For the time being I have passed up this opportunity, and continued to evaluate my time.

I appreciate the people that have asked me why my social media presence has dwindled and if I am okay. I am pleased to say that I am more than okay. Something I have been struggling with lately is time. Life is so busy whether we are working parents, stay at home parents, work at home parents, or honestly just any parent.  I am an " all or nothing personality", so I admit it is hard for me to wear many hats and believe that I am doing a great job with all of them.

My birthday is rapidly approaching and although I like to believe that I will always be young at heart, I know that my days are numbered as they are for all of us. We make the assumption daily  that we will have always have "tomorrow" to do something, but in actuality we are never promised tomorrow and all we have for now is the present moment. Time is precious, especially the time we have with our children. It is our job to raise them to be the people we want to see more of in the world. It is our duty to society, God, and our family to lead and guide them.  It is not an easy task, and not for the faint of heart.

My kids were home last week from school, and what they wanted more than anything was my time. I am thankful they still feel this way because I have a strong feeling that they may not share the same sentiments during the tween/teen years. Some days I just want to freeze time.  Right now the best gift I can give my children is my presence and undivided attention. Undivided attention seems impossible in a day where we are always multitasking, but I have come to the realization that even though I am capable of doing many things at the same time, only a few of these will be done with the quality I desire.

That being said this is where I have been....spending more time living in the moment with as little distractions as I can. Time is a limited currency, and nothing is really free. I want to make sure that the things I am spending my time on count.

I hope that I will be able to devote more time to a blog in the future, but right now it is not at the top of my list. I want to enjoy being silly with my kids, spend time drinking coffee with my friends, taking walks around the neighborhood, being involved in my church and community, and less time in a virtual presence. More real "face time" and less "screen time". I have enjoyed all of the connections I have made via the "virtual world" but life is short, and I just want to live more simply. My girls are out of school the end of June, and my goal is so unplug for the summer. Hoping I will be able to achieve this. Nothing is free that costs my time, and my time has to be spend on things that coincide with what I truly value in life.

There is a great quote by Barbara Bush that I shared last week via twitter but it says "At the end of your life you will never regret not having passed more more test, not winning one more verdict or not closing one more deal. You will regret time not spend with your husband, a friend, a child, or a parent".  I love this.

There is nothing like the value of faith, family, and friends. At least this is what is right for me, and I do realize that my opinions are my own, and not for everyone. As always thank you for taking time out of your day to read my random ramblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment